Wednesday, March 11, 2009

We're not in Kansas anymore!

After being on the mission field for 9 years, one forgets how different his surroundings are. When we first came to Croatia everything was different. Every where we turned we saw something that was different than what we were used to.

Now that we have been here for sometime everything seems to be normal, even the 800 year old castle in the park. Now it just looks like another building. Because things have become normal, I thought I'd slow down a bit and start looking at things like I did when I first came to Croatia. I remember thinking when we got off the plane, Toto we're not in Kansas anymore. So from time to time I'd like to share with you a post called, We're not in Kansas Anymore!

Here goes, and I hope you enjoy the differences as much as we do now!

Just the other day my lovely wife and I were out getting coffee as we try to do every Monday. As we looked down on the table there was an advertisement for hot chocolate. That seems pretty normal doesn't it. Well it is until you order it, then you realize how different it is.

I remember the first time we ordered hot chocolate in Croatia. It was close to Christmas and we took the kids out to get coffee (for us) and hot chocolate for them. At that time we couldn't speak the language so well, but we gave it our best shot. We all sat down excited about sharing the evening together at a little European coffee shop. The waiter took our order, and we patiently waited for our coffee and hot Chocolate. Well it arrived in a timely manner, and it was presented very professionally as it usually is in Europe. They care a lot about how things look. Presentation is very important to them. The coffee was typically European, if you don't know what that is, let me just say a little dab will keep you going all day! Then Hannah takes a taste of her hot chocolate, and says this is not hot chocolate! We take a better look at it, and then quickly realize that it is a melted candy bar in a glass! I guess they took hot chocolate literally. Before you think it was good, just know it was some of the riches chocolate you could find. We quickly learned what European hot chocolate was.

Now back to my wife and I. The place where we were this past Monday added a twist to the hot chocolate. They added chili peppers to theirs! It is called Aztec Hot Chocolate! Was it good? I have no idea, because i didn't try it. But I did realize that I was not in Kansas any more!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so glad you are sharing this. It is amazing how much things are taken for granted in the hustle and bustle of things. I will remember to not order the hot chocolate in Europe.

Tori Leslie said...

I can surely vouch for the over-the-top-ness of this stuff. I never knew there was such a thing as too much chocolate!