Saturday, March 21, 2009

The moon, the south wind and other hindrances of Soul-winning

You are probably thinking what in the world is he talking about! The moon or the wind a hindrance to soul-winning? I wouldn't have believed it myself if I haven't experienced it the last 9 years. The Croatian people (very strongly) believe that when the moon is full people will have a hard time sleeping, which makes them all on edge or if the south wind is blowing it will cause people to be irritable and nervous! Just the other day I was on my way to the church early in the morning when I heard the weather report for the day. I was shocked when I heard the weatherman say, Today will be a difficult day, because the south wind is blowing, people will be nervous and it will be hard to concentrate. I felt like turning the car around and going home, after all he just told me my day was going to be rotten, and I haven't even got started yet! To top it off it was Tuesday, the day we have church soul-winning! A double whammy all in one day. I've prayed for hearts to be open, that we would have power when we went, but I forgot to pray about the south wind.




Now that night almost every person we talked to was irritable, nervous and just down right mean. They must have heard the same report I did! Maybe there is some truth to this wind thing, I'm not sure. One thing I do know is soul-winning is always more difficult when the south wind is blowing, maybe because I find it so difficult to concentrate when I'm talking to people.

This moon thing is equally troubling for I find myself tossing and turning when the moon is full. Is it true or have I been brained washed? What do you think? Feel free to comment, and by all means pray that the wind will be blowing from any direction in Croatia, but the south one!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it just gives the Croatian people an excuse to be ornary. I don´t know, but Spaniards don´t seem to need an excuse. ;) Now that is a generalization extream.

That´s great you have a Soul winning team! Praise the Lord for what God is doing in Croatia! We have been here for 9 years and not seen anyone do here in Spain what you all have been able to do in the time you have been in Croatia. Your ministry has been an encouragement for us!! We are praying for Great things!

I follow Tori´s blog regurally, and have visited your web site and watched your video. So glad to have met your family.

Anonymous said...

Maybe there was a Croatian on the ship with Paul in Acts 27 - (Acts 27:13-14) "And when the south wind blew softly, supposing that they had obtained their purpose, loosing thence, they sailed close by Crete. {14} But not long after there arose against it a tempestuous wind, called Euroclydon."

Tammy said...

I do sometimes have trouble sleeping when the moon is full because so much light comes in through the windows and makes it brighter. I like it to be darker in the room.

Superstition in other countries besides the U.S. is always funny to me. There's always an excuse NOT to listen to God.

Arlene said...

Phew, what a rough day! I would guess you've been getting "brain-washed" from living over there so long, but with winds that strong, I'd be irritable, too! :o) I also agree with Tammy above; people are always ready with an excuse for God, so why not use the moon, huh?

Jessica said...

Johnny,

Always remember that even if you don't see anything at the time, you are still planting seeds. It is difficult to overcome superstitions. Keep at it, you are doing wonderful work in God's name.

I do know from being a paramedic, things do get crazy with full moons. I am not superstitious, but I have noticed more accidents and other crazy incidents coming into the hospitals on a full moon. Whether or not there is anything to that, I am not sure.