Friday, October 23, 2009

We're not in Kansas anymore! #4

Last night Cody and I went to visit Brother Alen in the hospital. He is there for therapy due to recent back surgery. He's been there a weak and has two more to go; Cody and I wanted to encourage him. Together we took the short drive through some beautiful country. We had a great time with Brother Alen. He was able to walk with us so he showed us a little of the town. It sets up in the mountains and it is known for its hot springs.

As we were walking back to the hospital, Brother Alen decided to show us one of the hot springs. As we entered the little park area I was amazed at what I saw. There were 2,000 year old Roman ruins everywhere. Apparently it was an excavation sight and it was amazing to see. I've seen a lot since being here, but this place was pretty amazing. I knew that I wasn't in Kansas anymore. How many times do we make a hospital call in the States and then find ourselves in a 2,000 year old museum. What a joy it is to serve God!

I hope you enjoy the pictures. They don't do the place justice, but they'll give you and ideal of what it was like there!


This is what it used to look like or so they think?


This is the main spring. The water is 136.4 degrees at it's main source. I was able to put my finger in here and it was hot!



These are two soul-winners enjoying the day! In case you don't know Cody is on the left, he's my son, Brother Alen is on the right.







The roof over it was built recently to protect everything. In case Christy , my sister, sees this; the Romans did not build the roof!



We are standing in what would have been one of the main temples.





5 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, now I'm jealous! You've seen something that I haven't.
So cool!

Bro. Raz said...

That's very cool, er, hot, well it's neat. It's a good thing your sister is 3000 miles away, though.

Christy said...

Very funny, Johnny!!!

Tammy said...

That is way awesome! The Leslie family is very lucky to get to serve God in such a place. I love all that history! When I was little I wanted to be an archeologist for a time. I loved seeing the Myan ruins in Cancun a few years ago. I think it would be wonderful to discover something like that.

sam3673 said...

Wow. That is very cool!
I am glad you got to spend the day with Brother Alen too.